Their is a large amount of U.S. adults and kids that view the web every day. Majority of these people spend time on the Internet to surf for their topic of interest. Online magazines have taken off because of major advantages such as:
- Use free e-mail recirculation to advertise Web site
- Small amounts of actual, serious competitors for the same market
- Archive are available in a convenient manner
- Web allows publishers to make databases, listings and indexes available to visitors. This cannot be done as fast or easily in print publications.
- If publication has both an online and print version, than this can be very profitable for the magazine. Having both of these mediums working for a publication gets them more time with their readers, and less time for them to read other publications.
- Can create unique information services and formats, which readers enjoy viewing, and want.
Advantages of Print:
- Print publications tend to be more stable because their technology doesn't change at a fast pace.
- Taken more seriously by sources
- It's portable (More convenient for people that cannot afford a lap top) "digital divide"
- Don't have to wait for an article to download
- Don't have to wait for pictures to download
- Print publications don't have software that crashes
- Has a physical presence
- Print is superior to online when the online publication is unable to reach their target audience due to them not being online.
Disadvantages of Print:
- Magazines aim for one particular target, while online is able to reach all
- Online publications can have up to 20 million visitors because it is free and reaches everyone. Print depends on subscriptions, therefore reaching far less customers.
- Online magazines that are not linked to print publications tend to have 2-to-5 times more material than print magazines have on the same topic.
Online over Print:
Though it looks as if print dominates the online technology of magazines, the online source provides more for society, costs less, and it is easier to reach a much bigger target audience.